Friday 19 July 2013

Merry Meet!!

  


Merry meet all!! I thought it would make sense for my first blog post to be a little about myself and what to expect from this blog. My name is Louise- or Amber Rose to my pagan pals, I am 25 years old and live in the West Midlands, UK. After much thought I have decided to start a Pagan related blog- to share my journey and learn from others- hopefully meeting other new like minded people along the way. Paganism has been a part of my life for many years- before I even realized it myself. When I was younger I used to spend hours sitting in the garden at night staring at the sky in fascination- my family worried I was a little 'different' but I was causing no harm so let me get on with it. In my early teens I became interested in crystals. Every year since I was a baby my family would have a weeks holiday down in the New Forest- It always has the strangest feeling of 'being home' whenever I am there. The beautiful little village of Burley was where I purchased my first set of crystals from my favorite little shop 'coven of witches'.

 The beautiful village of Burley, New Forest.
 I returned every year and my collection of crystals along with my knowledge about them gradually increased. In my later teens I remember having a conversation about religion and trying desperately to explain what I believed- but I couldn't place it in any of the mainstream religions. I started reading and came across paganism and Wicca- I was in awe, I was so excited, everything I was reading what how I had always felt. I didn't feel like I was reading it all for the first time- I felt like I was being reminded.... I honestly felt like a weight had been lifted and a huge gap in my life filled. For a couple of years I continued to read lots, ordering books off Amazon and trying to hide them from my family and friends in fear of what they would think. Then gradually as I became more confident in what I believed I started leaving the odd 'mother nature' book around, or 'earth magic' to prompt a few questions. Gradually I opened up and enjoyed sharing my beliefs- I even got my dad interested in crystals and he has a small collection now himself! (he has some pretty expensive fancy ones i'm even a little jealous of myself :p) I am now totally open with my family about my path and am happy to leave my alter, wands, Athame and other tools out for them to see. If they laugh- I educate them- and often they are thrown back by the answers and explanations I give.

 
Me at the Mercian Gathering


Initially I felt myself swayed towards the religion of Wicca. The material I read was primarily Wiccan, I watched you tube videos from the lovely 'charmingpixieflora' and 'witchontheroccks' amongst others and was inspired by them. At this point in my later teens I started practicing solitary witchcraft. Initially I would lock myself away in my bedroom and spend hours researching on the internet and writing in my book of shadows. I had purchased all of the basic tools I felt I needed off the internet and felt empowered and blissfully happy with the way I felt afterwards. The only thing missing at this point was my desire to meet with other like-minded people and to be part of the pagan community- it can be a very lonely path to start out on. I joined forums and got chatting too a few fellow pagans and it was such a joy for me to be able to talk about my interests and ask questions first hand. I had so many questions spinning around in my head that books cannot always answer. One day I was in one of the 'witchy shops' when I ended up getting chatting to a man who introduced me to his small coven and I ended up becoming a member, meeting some of the most lovely friends imaginable. I had some fabulous times with them, visiting the roll rights, celebrating the Sabbats and the Esbats and enjoyed being part of a pagan family. Unfortunately the coven have now gone their separate ways and I am working solitary again- but I have made some friends for life that I love and adore. The Coven were not a 'wiccan' coven- they were a coven of witches who practiced witchcraft. They opened my eyes to the significant different between the two (which I will go into more detail about in future blog posts) but as I developed my knowledge I cut away from the path of 'wicca' and felt more comfortable and connected with the craft itself combined with other areas of paganism. I joined a Heathernry meditation group- which again expanded my knowledge outside Wicca and Witchcraft and gave me the incentive to explore all areas of paganism in more detail. I attended a few different moots and again met some amazing friends. 


My beliefs has changed alot over the years and I believe this is healthy in a spiritual path. I used to try and do everything 'by the book' so to speak, but now lean more towards doing things that feel right- I have pretty much ditched the books as resources as deep down I know I already have the knowledge inside me.

I have attended a few pagan camp such as the well know Mercian Gathering, and absolutely adore the atmosphere there. Finally a place where I can relax and totally be myself without fear of any judgement. Drumming and chanting around the fire is such an empowering experience- like nothing I had ever imagined. Camping in the middle of nature with the friendly bunch of people you will ever meet is why I look forward to camps all year long.

So that intro was slight longer than I had expected (and that was in a nutshell) apologies :) I look forward to hearing from you all, I have made so many wonderful friends along this path and look forward to meeting many more! Please Subscribe and feel free to email me or leave comments!



 

6 comments:

  1. wonderful post! love you Darlin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie! Thanks for subscribing, you are my only one! lol!! Love you too hun xx

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful blog! I'm really looking forward to following along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you baba yaga thats so kind of you :)Im trying to come up with ideas for new posts so if you have any suggestions please feel free to let me know. Blessed be xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing I think you do really well is present information in a way that is informative to people new to it, yet also inspiring and affirming to those already familiar with the topic. So I think almost anything you touch on will be interesting. I loved the post on mini-altars, and I HAD to get a bell after reading you post on tools. I don't know if I have any useful suggestions about topics, but I'd love to hear your take on working indoors vs. outdoors, or finding the magic of nature, as in befriending trees/plants, or finding special places in nature to meditate or refresh. Make sense? Also, your experience with smudging/incense? Yeah. That would make me happy! Thanks, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your ideas Lynne I will certainly look at doing posts on some of those, great ideas:) Blessed be xx

    ReplyDelete